- The NYPD shared a video of an Asian girl being attacked by somebody with a hammer.
- Police mentioned the particular person approached two Asian girls and requested them to take away their masks.
- The NYPD mentioned the particular person then hit one in every of them “on the pinnacle with a hammer, inflicting a laceration.”
- Visit the Insider homepage for more stories.
The New York Police Division launched footage of an Asian girl being attacked by somebody who requested her to take away her face masks.
The NYPD’s hate crimes division mentioned two unidentified Asian girls, aged 31 and 29, had been strolling round 8:40 p.m. Sunday when an unidentified particular person approached them.
He mentioned the particular person then “demanded that she take away her masks after which hit the 31-year-old girl on the pinnacle with a hammer, inflicting a laceration.”
The NYPD shared video of the assault:
– NYPD Hate Crimes (@NYPDHateCrimes) May 3, 2021
Victim spoke to ABC 7 News, the place she was solely recognized as Theresa.
She mentioned she tried to defend herself and the assault left her head bleeding.
She mentioned a girl walked as much as her: “She was speaking to herself, like speaking to a wall, I assumed perhaps she was drunk or one thing, so we simply needed to undergo it rapidly and once I walked via it she noticed us and mentioned ‘take off your fucking masks,’ which is surprising. ‘
“Instantly I felt my head hit by one thing.”
She was then taken to hospital, ABC 7 reported.
It’s not recognized if girls have been focused due to their race.
The NYPD has requested folks with data to contact the division.