Kenya investigates curfew after ‘sick child’ dies

Police have arrange roadblocks throughout the nation to implement an launched curfew to scale back coronavirus infections

Kenya’s police watchdog has opened an investigation into reviews {that a} child died after officers on curfew obligation refused to let a taxi go to the hospital.

The four-month-old had developed respiratory difficulties on Saturday and was rushed to a neighborhood hospital, the grandfather advised Nation newspaper.

Medical doctors mentioned the kid needed to go to a referral hospital 25 km (15 miles) away.

However brokers at a roadblock reportedly refused to allow them to by resulting from a Covid curfew.

Kenya has imposed a ten p.m. to 4 a.m. curfew to curb the surge in coronavirus infections.

“With out this roadblock, my granddaughter’s life may have been saved”, The baby’s grandfather said, speaking in Swahili, in a video posted to the Nation’s Facebook page.

Police didn’t reply to the BBC’s request for remark.

Final month, 1000’s of motorists and passengers had been stranded for hours in site visitors within the capital, Nairobi, after police blocked the town’s foremost roads.

Authorities have been broadly criticized, however insist {that a} strict enforcement of the curfew is required to cope with the rise in an infection.

Kenya has confirmed greater than 161,000 instances of the coronavirus and simply over 2,700 deaths.

What occurred to the child?

The taxi with the sick baby left Gucha hospital arriving on the roadblock within the western city of Keroka simply after 10 p.m. on Saturday, according to The Nation, who spoke to the grandfather and the cab driver he hired.

The household was heading to the Kisii Educating and Referral Hospital (KTRH).

“We had been detained for greater than 40 minutes on the roadblock regardless of a letter of advice from Gucha hospital. The police insisted that we had defied the directives issued by the president,” the grandfather mentioned. .

The taxi driver appeared for an alternate path to convey the 16-year-old mom, child and father to KTRH when negotiations collapsed.

“I attempted to speak to them however my calls had been heard on deaf ears,” Aron Okindo advised the newspaper.

An officer advised the Nation that the automobile solely stayed on the roadblock for quarter-hour resulting from a build-up of site visitors.

Nonetheless, the grandfather says that by the point they reached KTRH by one other route, it was an hour later.

“The medical doctors advised us that the kid was already useless,” mentioned the grandfather.

The Unbiased Police Oversight Authority, the company liable for investigating police misconduct in Kenya, advised the BBC it had been made conscious of the incident and was investigating.

Study extra concerning the coronavirus in Kenya:

Related Articles

Back to top button

Help Journalism! Disable Adblocker!

Please Disable AdBlocker. We're Group of Individuals who are working to provide important information, News, Updates, Tips etc. Please help us by disabling Adblocker on our Website. AS THIS IS ONLY POSSIBLE WAY TO RUNNING THIS WEBSITE.